Mom nourishes her family with love and delicious food. Cooking for her is a way to thank and pamper her with the same love.
Inspired by her mom’s recipe, our Tropical friend Ana Quincoces – @anaqooks – prepared these delicious Tropical bowls with her mom!
Tropical bowls with Queso de Freír are a modernized version of her family’s favorite, masitas de Puerco frita (fried pork chunks) with rice and black beans. For the modern twist, they add delicious, perfectly golden brown Tropical Queso de Freír Tropical and Tropical Crema Centroamericana to the rice, beans and pork. They all come together to celebrate our traditional flavors with our own style.
See the recipe here:
- 2- 10 oz. Tropical Queso De Freír cut into ¾ to 1 inch cubes
- 1- 18 oz. container Tropical Crema Centroamericana
- 3 cups cooked long grain white rice
- 3 cups cooked black beans
- 2 to 2 ½ lbs. pork butt (Boston butt) in 2-inch cubes
- 2 cups mojo-style marinade
- 2 Hass avocados cubed
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro finely chopped
- 1 large Spanish onion thinly sliced
- Fried sweet plantains (maduros)
- 2 cups of corn or canola oil
- In a large bowl or resealable bag, combine pork cubes and mojo. Allow to marinate at least 4 hours or up to overnight. In a large deep skillet, heat 1 c of oil over medium-high heat. Remove pork from marinade and discard marinade. Place pork carefully into hot oil and brown lightly and evenly on all sides. Reduce temperature to low, cover and continue cooking for 40-45 minutes until soft and tender, checking and stirring occasionally. Uncover and increase heat to medium high, cook, stirring frequently until most of the liquid is absorbed & the pork is nice and crispy. Watch closely so that it doesn’t get too dark. Remove from heat and set aside
- In a separate skillet. Heat the remaining cup of oil over medium to medium high heat. Once the oil is hot, add the Tropical Queso De Freír in a single layer. Watch closely, stirring frequently until cheese is golden brown and lightly crispy. Place on a paper towel-lined platter to drain. Repeat until all the cheese is fried.
- In a medium bowl combine the Tropical Crema Centroamericana with the chopped cilantro to taste and stir well (reserve some cilantro for garnish).
- In a shallow bowl, place a scoop of white rice and cover with desired amount of black beans. Add fried pork chunks next and cover with thinly sliced onions, then add maduros and avocado. Top with crispy golden Tropical Queso de Freír and drizzle with prepared Tropical Crema Centroamericana with cilantro.