Plantains are a favorite ingredient in Latin America; every country enjoys them in their own way, but everyone agrees they’re delicious. This recipe uses ripe green plantains, meaning almost black ripe; it’s at this stage when they become very sweet. This is an easy 3-ingredient recipe: sweet plantains, butter and Queso Blanco cheese merged in the oven to create a simple yet tasty snack, appetizer, or side. Enjoy these Baked Plantains with Queso Blanco while they’re warm!
- Preheat oven to 400º F.
- Peel the plantains by cutting off the ends and making a vertical cut in the peel to remove it more easily.
- Place on a large baking sheet with nonstick paper and brush them completely with melted butter.
- Bake plantains for 25 minutes and flip them over to cook them for another 10 minutes or until golden brown. If not soft enough, cover plantains with foil; cook 10 to 15 minutes longer or until tender and gold.
- Remove from the oven when ready. Then make an incision lengthwise in the middle of each plantain, and fill them with the grated Queso Blanco. Bake for 2-3 more minutes or until the cheese melts.
- Serve and enjoy them warm.