Lentil Soup and Chorizo are a perfect combination and a popular dish in Mexico, several countries in Latin America, and Spain. We gave this recipe a spicy touch with Tropical Chorizo Picante. It’s a high-protein hearty meal, including a variety of veggies and topped with Tropical Queso Fresco Mexicano. Enjoy!
- 1 14-ounce pack of Tropical Mexican Chorizo Picante (spicy chorizo), 4 sausage links, casings removed
- 2 packed cups of chopped spinach
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 stalks of celery, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 8 cups (2 quarts) of chicken broth
- 1 14.5-ounce can of diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 cup red lentils
- Mexican Queso Fresco for serving
- Put a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the chorizo and cook, breaking the sausage into small pieces and stirring occasionally, until the chorizo is browned, about 8 minutes.
- Add the spinach, onion, carrots, celery and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are just starting to become tender, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the chicken broth, tomatoes, and lentils, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and gently simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes, or until the lentils are soft.
- Top with crumbled Tropical Mexican Queso Fresco and serve with bread.