Mexican refried beans are quick and easy to prepare with some staple pantry items and a few basic fresh ingredients. Canned pinto or black beans are great for this dish and perfectly combine with the irresistible goodness of the melted Oaxaca cheese. This vegetarian burrito spices up the flavor with caramelized onions, bell peppers, garlic and smoked paprika. Pan-frying the wrapped burritos guarantees a golden, crispy outside and an irresistibly cheesy inside.
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, finely chopped 1/2 green bell pepper, finely chopped Kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (15-ounce) cans pinto beans drained
- 1/2 cup of bean liquid reserved
- 1/2 cup pico de gallo or salsa
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 6 Tropical Flour tortillas Burrito size
- 2 cups shredded Tropical Oaxaca Cheese
- Tropical Crema Mexicana for serving
Preparation – Refried Beans
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of canola oil over medium heat. Add onions, bell peppers, salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and tender, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in garlic until fragrant, 1 minute. Add pinto beans, pico de gallo, smoked paprika, reserved bean liquid, and 1/2 cup of water, and bring to a simmer.
- Cook, stirring and mashing occasionally with a potato masher or the back of a spoon, until liquid is absorbed and the mixture is thick about 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer refried beans to a bowl, and wipe out the skillet.
Preparation – Burrito
- Spread 1/2 cup of the refried beans in the center of each tortilla and top each with 1/3 cup of the cheese. Fold the short sides of the tortilla over the filling; fold the bottom of the tortilla up and over the filling and tightly roll.
- In the skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of canola oil over medium heat. Add 3 burritos seam-side down and cook until golden brown, turning occasionally, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to serving plates and repeat with the remaining. Serve warm with Crema Mexica and hot sauce on the side.