What can be better than this ancient Ecuadorian soup recipe to warm your heart during the cold weather? Potatoes are originally from the Andes region, and Locro de Papa, a potato and cheese soup, is a staple dish in Ecuador. This recipe uses authentic Tropical Queso Ecuatoriano to elevate the experience. Pick-up some potatoes and Tropical Cheese at your local grocery store and prepare this delightful soup for dinner tonight.
- 12 russet potatoes
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tbsp cumin
- 1/2 tbsp annatto
- Handful of cilantro leaves, minced
- 4 cups water
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup milk
- 1 ½ cups Tropical Queso Ecuatoriano, crumbled
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Peel and chop the potatoes and set aside.
- In a large soup pot heat 2 tbsp of vegetable oil and add the onions, garlic, cumin and annatto. Cook until the onions are soft, and then add the potatoes. Mix in the potatoes so that they are covered with the sofrito.
- Then, add the four cups of water and three cups of chicken stock, and bring to a boil. Cook until the potatoes are tender.
- Once tender, mash them with a potato masher or hand blender. Lower the mixture to a simmer and add the milk to thin out the soup slightly.
- Add the salt and pepper to taste as well as the 1 cup of the Queso Ecuatoriano and most of the cilantro. Leave some cilantro for a garnish at the end.
- Stir in the cheese and cilantro until the cheese has melted and the cilantro has mixed in. Remove from the heat.
- Serve the soup and garnish with sliced avocados, the remaining crumbled Queso Ecuatoriano and cilantro.