Bread Bowls are a long-time classic, and this creamy Broccoli Cheddar Soup will hit the spot. It’s perfect for cold weather or when you need a comforting and welcoming meal. Serve this soup in a round bread loaf, like sourdough, carved as a bowl.
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup of onion, finely diced
- 2 cups of carrots (3 medium) – thin sliced
- 4 cups of low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups of broccoli (2 heads of broccoli), cut into small florets
- 1 tsp of garlic powder
- 1 tsp of sea salt, or to taste
- ½ tsp of black pepper
- ¼ tsp of thyme
- 1 cup of Tropical Crema Centroamericana
- 2 cups of shredded Tropical Sharp Cheddar Cheese (16 oz.), and more to serve
- Medium sourdough round loaves to serve
- In a big pot or Dutch oven, melt butter. Add onion and carrots and sauté until onions soften (5 minutes).
- Add salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and thyme. Then pour in the chicken broth. Bring to a boil, then add the broccoli and reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook until broccoli is softened (about 10-12 minutes).
- Remove 2 cups of vegetables with a strainer and set aside. Blend the remaining soup in the pot with an immersion blender or puree in batches in a blender. Blend until smooth or your desired consistency.
- Bring the blended soup back to a boil and pour in the Tropical Crema; mix for 3-4 minutes until smooth.
- For the bread bowl, use a knife to cut off the tops and scoop out the centers with a spoon.
- Put bread on a baking sheet and broil in the oven on high for 2-3 minutes or until it’s golden brown on top. Don’t let it burn. Remove from oven.
- Turn off the heat of the soup. Stir in the Cheddar Cheese and reintroduce the reserved cooked vegetables. Stir well then pour into the bread bowls.
- Serve right away and garnish with more Cheddar Cheese.