Queso de Freír Stuffed with Ropa Vieja
Ingredients (Ropa Vieja):
- 1 pound flank steak
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 green or red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- ½ cup sofrito
- 1 Sazon packet with coriander and annatto
- ½ cup sliced pimento-stuffed olives
- ¼ cup capers
Ingredients (Appetizer Cups):
Prepare Ropa Vieja:
- Sprinkle flank steak with salt and pepper; cut steak into 4” by 3” pieces. In 4-quart saucepan over medium-high heat, in 1 tablespoon hot oil, brown beef on both sides; remove to plate. In drippings remaining in saucepan over medium heat, in remaining tablespoon oil, cook onion, pepper and garlic, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add water, tomato sauce, sofrito and sazon and flank steak. Over high heat, heat mixture to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in olives and capers. Simmer 1 hour longer or until meat shreds easily with a fork, adding more water if necessary. Remove meat to large plate. Shred with 2 forks; return to saucepan.
Prepare Appetizer Cups:
- Place Queso Freir on cutting board. Cut into 16 equal cubes, each about 1 ¼ by 1/1/4-inches. With small melon baller or scoop, cut a small scoop out of each square of cheese. Heat 2 inches oil to 350°F. in deep-fryer or in deep saucepan. Fry cheese cubes about 2 minutes or until browned. With slotted spoon, remove to paper towel lined plate.
- In small bowl combine crema and chipotle peppers to mix well.
- To serve, place appetizer cups on serving platter. Fill with Ropa Vieja. Drizzle with Chipotle Crema. Garnish with cilantro sprigs.