Ecuadorian Potato Cakes (Llapingachos)
Ingredients (Potato Pancakes):
- 6 medium potatoes, such as Yukon gold, peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 packet Sazon with coriander and annatto
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded Tropical Queso Ecuatoriano
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Ingredients (Fresh Salsa):
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- ¼ cup finely diced red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- ½ cup prepared Peanut Sauce
Prepare Potato Pancakes:
- Fill large saucepan ¾ full of water. Add potatoes; over high heat, heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low; simmer 15 minutes until potatoes are tender. Drain well. Mash potatoes. You should have about 3 cups.
- Meanwhile, in small skillet over medium heat, in 1 tablespoon hot oil, cook onion until just tender, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. In large bowl combine mashed potatoes, sautéed onion, flour, Sazon, salt and pepper until combined. Stir in shredded Queso until well mixed. Shape ¼ cupful potato mixture into sixteen 3-inch-round patties, each about ½-inch thick.
- In medium bowl combine tomato, red onion, cilantro, olive oil and red wine vinegar to mix well. Set aside.
- In 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat, in 1tablespoon olive oil, cook half of potato pancakes until well browned on both sides. Remove to plate. Repeat with remaining potato pancakes and olive oil. Serve with fresh salsa and peanut sauce.