Arepas are a staple of Colombian and Venezuelan cuisine, and they go well with many delicious ingredients, like chorizo and eggs. Make them part of your weekend brunch with Tropical QuesitoColombiano and Chorizo Colombiano, topped with a poached egg. You'll become everyone's favorite brunch chef.
- Put the oil in a small pan at medium-high heat. Add the peeled Chorizo and break down the stuffing with a wooden spoon, until lightly browned, for about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Throw in the spinach and cook for 2 minutes or till softened. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- In the same pan, put the butter. When melted, add the arepas and toast them on both sides.
- Fill a medium saucepan about 2/3 full with water and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Turn the heat down and let the water relax to a brisk simmer.
- Crack 1 large egg into a cup
- Carefully slide the egg into the water. Make sure the water is still at a bare simmer.
- Poach for 4 minutes if you like a runny yolk. Cook longer for a firmer yolk.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the egg from the water.
- Assemble the toasted arepas with the Chorizo and spinach mixture on top, sprinkle Quesito Colombiano. When ready remove the eggs and place them on top of the other ingredients, scatter with parsley, and season with salt and pepper.