Plantains are a common ingredient in these regions, and when they are green (unripe), they are used to make the much-loved patacones. Patacones can be enjoyed as a snack instead of potato chips, as an appetizer with dips, guacamole, or sauces, or as a side for fish, meat, or cheese.
In this recipe, you’ll learn how to make patacones and a delicious way to serve them. The green plantain is fried twice, first when it is cut in slices and then again when it is crushed; this ensures that the patacón will be tasty and crispy. Tropical Queso de Freír is a perfect companion because of the contrast of flavor and texture. And the chicken is the final touch.
You can have Patacón with Queso de Freír and chicken for lunch or dinner. Enjoy!
Tostones and Fried Cheese
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted and diced
- Cilantro-Lime Crema (see recipe below)
- Prepare Tostones and Fried Cheese: Peel green plantains; on a slight diagonal, cut into ¾- inch-thick slices to make 6. Deep-fry in hot oil, 375°F until tender, but not crusty. With slotted spoon, remove to paper towels to drain.
- Cover plantains with waxed paper; press down with back of hand to flatten. Deep-fry again until crusty and golden on both sides. Remove to paper towel to drain. Sprinkle lightly with salt.
- Cut Queso de Freir cheese into six 3 ½ x 2 ½ inch slices, about 1/2 –inch thick. Deep-fry in hot oil until golden browned, about 30 seconds each. With slotted spoon, remove to paper towels to drain.
- Prepare chicken mixture: Cut chicken breast into thin strips. In 12-inch skillet, over medium high-heat, in hot oil, cook chicken until well browned on all sides, stirring occasionally. Remove to plate. In drippings remaining in skillet, over medium heat, cook red onion and garlic for 5 minutes. Stir in chopped tomato and cooked chicken; cook 1 minute longer.
- To serve, place a tostόn on serving plate; stack Fried Cheese slice on top. Top with chicken mixture. Garnish with avocado. Drizzle with cilantro-lime crema. Repeat with remaining ingredients to make 6 stacks.
In small bowl, combine crema, cilantro and lime juice; stir to mix well.